Julie is an enthusiastic, global educator, leader and innovator. Originally from Melbourne, Australia, for the past15 years she also taught and led the use of technology in schools in Zambia, Kuwait, Bangladesh, Qatar, and China. She is now based in Australia as a consultant, presenter and workshop leader and is currently Director of Learning Confluence, Director and co-founder of Flat Classroom® and Global Collaboration Consultant for THINK Global School.
Julie is co-creator of many award winning international wiki-centric projects, including the Flat Classroom® Project, the NetGenEd™ Project, the Eracism Project™, A Week in the Life Elementary Flat Classroom® Project, K-2 Building Bridges to Tomorrow and Digiteen™ with teacher Vicki Davis currently in Georgia, USA. She is also co-founder of the Flat Classroom Conference and Live Events Inc. a non-profit group that facilitates live events for students and educators globally, and co-author of Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds: Move to Global Collaboration One Step at a Time, Pearson 2012.
Worldwide she is recognized for innovative programs using a wide array of Web 2.0 tools to transform learning for the emerging digital, “world-is-flat” educational landscape. From ubiquitous mobile technology programs to Flat Classroom® opportunities for constructivist learning, she leads the way in connecting communities and brings front line experiences to share with teachers, school leaders and policy makers alike. She is adept at designing and customizing learning experiences for all ages, including cutting edge events that include both students and educators together. Her experiences in education have included International Baccalaureate schools and training (PYP, MYP, DP) and mobile, 1:1 planning, implementation and management.
In addition Julie is recognized for her academic achievements, MA Music (La Trobe University in Melbourne), MA in Education and Human Development specializing in Educational Technology Leadership (George Washington University in Washington, DC), ADE (Apple Distinguished Educator), ISTE Ambassador and ISTE International Representative on the Board of Directors, Member of Horizon Report Board of Advisers 2008-2011, and is a member of the Leadership team for both the Learning 2.012 Conference in Beijing 2012 and the Global Education Conference 2010-12 (virtual).
Curriculum Vitae for Julie Lindsay
Current Position: Global Collaboration Consultant THINK Global School; Director Flat Classroom® Projects and Flat Classroom® Conference and Live Events Inc.
Blog: E-Learning Journeys
Portfolio/Consultancy: Learning Confluence
Wikis: Professional Learning Environment
Follow me on Twitter, Delicious, Flickr, Linkedin, YouTube, Slideshare, Facebook
- Master of Arts in Education and Human Development, in the field of Educational Technology Leadership, The George Washington University, Washington DC, USA (2005)
- Graduate Diploma in Computer Education, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia (1997)
- Master of Arts, (by research) Music, Topic: “Analytical approaches to jazz polyphony with special reference to the use of pitch-class set theory in the works of Toshiko Akiyoshi and Phil Woods”. LaTrobe University, Melbourne, Australia (1995)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Music, LaTrobe University, Melbourne, Australia (1987)
- Diploma in Education, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia (1983)
- Bachelor of Arts (Music major), LaTrobe University, Melbourne, Australia (1981)
- HSC (High School Certificate), Vermont High School, Melbourne, Australia (1977)
- MYP Coordinator Training, Beijing BISS IS, China (2011)
- IBO Intermediate Training, International School Dhaka, Bangladesh (2005)
- iEARN Master Teacher, iEARN, New York USA (2004)
- IBO ITGS Training, Bangkok Patana School, Bangkok, Thailand (2004)
- IBO MYP Technology Training, Wesley College, Melbourne, Australia (2003)
- IBO MYP Beginner Training, International School Dhaka, Bangladesh (2003)
- Director and Co-founder of Flat Classroom Projects LLC, including Flat Classroom Project, Net Generation Education Project, Digiteen Project, Eracism Project, K-2 Building Bridges to Tomorrow and ‘A Week in the Life…’ Project. Co-winner ISTE’s SIGTEL’s Online Learning Award 2007 (now called SIGOL Award) and Taking IT Global Best Online Learning Project 2007 for the Flat Classroom Project
- Director and Co-founder of Flat Classroom Conference and Live Events Inc., non-profit US-based 501(3)(c), umbrella group for the Flat Classroom Conference: Leadership Workshop and Student Summit,
- ADE (Apple Distinguished Educator),
- ISTE Ambassador and International Representative on the ISTE Board of Directors,
- Member of Horizon Report Board of Advisers 2008-2011,
- co-founder, with Vicki Davis, of Flat Classroom® Projects LLC and Flat Classroom® Conference and Live Events Inc.,
- Chair of the Educator Advisory Board for the Global Education Conference 2010. Member of the Leadership Team for GEC 2011-12
Professional Teaching Experience
2009 – 2012:
E-Learning Coordinator and (2011-12) MYP Coordinator
Beijing BISS International School, China.
As E-Learning Coordinator: Coordination of whole school (K-12) integration of technology and e-Learning, including teacher professional development. Responsible for overseeing the 1:1 implementation across the MYP (MacBooks), and for mobile computing and online learning at all curriculum levels. Responsible for coordination of the IT Manager and IT Services department.
As MYP Coordinator: Responsible for teacher, student and community awareness and understanding of the Middle Years Programme, including overseeing implementation, curriculum development, training and assessment. Member of the academic administrative team at BISS.
2007-2009: Head of Information Technology and E-Learning, Qatar Academy, Doha, State of Qatar. See major accountability and accomplishments.
K-12 Administration leader for technology integration and curriculum development.
International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme and Diploma Programme
Subjects taught: Grade 6-10 ICT within the MYP Technology programme.
2003 – 2007: Head of Technology, Director of E-Learning , International School Dhaka (ISD), Bangladesh.
International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme and Diploma Programme
Subjects taught: Grade 6-10 ICT within the MYP Technology programme, Grade 11-12 ITGS.
Previous position of responsibility: IBO Coordinator Homo Faber.
Please also read Accountability and Accomplishments while at ISD.
2001-2003: ICT and Computer Studies Teacher, Gulf English School, Kuwait
Subjects taught: Year 7 & 8 ICT, IGCSE Computer Studies & IGCSE Information Technology
2000-2001: ICT Coordinator, English School For Girls, Kuwait
Subjects taught: Years 3-9 ICT, Years 10-12 IGCSE Computer Studies
1998-2000: ICT and Computer Studies Teacher, Simba School, Zambia
Subjects taught: Grades 10, 11 and 12 Computer Studies, including IGCSE
1984-1997: Music Teacher, Various schools including Eltham College, Melbourne. Australia (for 10 years)
Subjects taught: Years 7 – 12 music, including music technology and Jazz Band
1993-1997: Lecturer in Jazz Studies and Lecturer in Music (Technology and Multimedia)
Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE Melbourne, Australia